Perfect for vegetarians, celiacs, and those with other digestive ailments, these veggie-gasmic broccoli burgers are a lighter choice than a regular burger and are protein-rich, full of fibre and contain no meat or tahini – just greens!
Some people get tired of eating the same old, tired vegetables for every meal. A side salad or a mound of cooked carrots never did inspire much creativity, which is why I’m pleased to reveal my latest healthy gluten-free burger recipe – THE BROCCOLI BURGER. By mixing the broccoli into the patty, you’re eating the greens which don’t upset your stomach, whilst at the same time you don’t even know you’re eating them! A perfect cohesion of full meals w/ veg.
Enjoy these guilt-free burgers with a thick dipping sauce like hummus, or a decent side dish like tofu or a three bean chilli.
- For more information on fun recipes with beans, take a look at Thrive Cuisine’s website.
- 1/3 cup couscous
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups broccoli florets, chopped roughly
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 can chickpeas
- ½ cup gluten-free breadcrumbs (make these yourself by allowing a few slices of gluten-free bread to stale and then blitz in a food processor)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Boil the couscous with the water on a high heat for 10-12 minutes. Then take off the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- during the simmer, steam the broccoli in a steamer for 8 minutes ( a microwave can work for this if the broccoli is put into a tight Tupperware pot)
- During the steaming, fry up the onions for 5 minutes until brown, then add in the cumin.
- Pop the couscous, broccoli, onions, chickpeas and blitz in a food processor until well combined. Then gradually stir in the breadcrumbs to bulk out the dough.
- Spoon out the mixture into 8 patties and place onto a foiled or greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 190c on each side, or until they start to brown slightly.
- Serve with gluten-free pitta or flatbreads.
You can also give these other meat-free burger recipes a go: Chickpea Burger, Tofu Burger, Lentil Burger, Black Bean Burger & Beetroot Burger!