Try this healthier muffin recipe which uses 30% less milk, 10% less oil, 50% less flour, 50% less salt and 70% less sugar than traditional methods.
You’ll find that these taste not at all synthetic like shop-bought varieties and have a much subtler sweet taste due to the heart healthy olive oil used in place of vegetable oil.
Eat these for breakfast or a hearty snack, with less guilt and more flavour than a regular muffin!
- 2 eggs
- 170ml skimmed milk
- 100ml good quality olive oil
- 270g self-raising flour
- 70g caster sugar
- 250g frozen blueberries
- rind of 1/2 lemon
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 200c.
- Mix together eggs, milk and oil.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt.
- Mix the two bowl mixtures together with the frozen blueberries and lemon, adding in the dry ingredients slowly. Be careful not to overmix as you want a light, fluffy muffin.
- Spoon into 12 muffin cases and bake for 25 minutes or until light brown on top.
- Leave to cool – then scoff! Serve with a nice natural yoghurt or a few slices of canned peaches.
- Got some left over? This recipe is great to freeze if you want seconds, thirds and fourths!