I have a bit of a problem with popcorn. I’ll tell you why… it’s because it so doesn’t need to be unhealthy. All of these pre-popped bags of popcorn with layers of salt, sugar and butter on are unnecessarily unhealthy and annoy me a lot. And don’t get me started on the microwaveable stuff.
Raw kernels are so much cheaper than pre-made popcorn and, if you buy the bagged stuff because you think convenience is key then you may be surprised to know the raw kind only takes one saucepan and that’s it.
It’s not even a faff – you just put it on the hob and wait for a few minutes and it’s done. Fresh, delicious, healthier than bagged and tastes just like the kind you’d pay £6 for in a cinema. All from a bag of kernels that would have cost you around 50p. You can thank me later.
Try this wicked recipe which cuts out the butter, additives and colourings and keeps it simple with just kernels, sea salt, coconut oil instead of vegetable oil, peanut butter instead of butter and Fudge Kitchen’s AMAZING sea salted caramel fudge for that extra sweetness. An amazing healthy recipe if you’re a huge Butterkist fan 😉
- 50g raw popcorn kernels
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 2 tbsp Fudge Kitchen Sea Salted Caramel Fudge
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan for about 30 seconds.
- Drop in 3 kernels and wait for them to pop.
- Once they’ve popped, take the pan off the heat for 30 seconds.
- Return the pan to the heat and add in the coconut oil and peanut butter.
- Add the kernels to the pan, pour in the fudge and place lid on pan to steam.
- Wait a few minutes for all the kernels to pop and take off the heat when kernels don’t pop for more than 10 seconds apart.
- Mix in the salt and serve up when cool.