Practically no calories and full of antioxidant rich fruits, you’ll be pining for more of this once you get started 🙂
Who said eating fruits had to be boring? Try this exciting Agua Fresca cocktail recipe for an IBS-friendly, fruity drink. Ideal for getting you into the holiday spirit – you can even stick a mini umbrella in their tops if you like 😉
Agua Fresca might be difficult to come by in UK cocktail bars, but making them yourself sometimes can be just as nice! Alternatively, you can find similar cocktails around which use real fruit juice and less sugar than your standard Margarita.
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 cups watermelon (rind removed), seeded and chopped. Other fruits to use could be melon, strawberries, papaya, mango, pineapple or cucumber. I use watermelon because it’s 92% water and full of antioxidants, which means it goes down well in the gut. They’re also good at producing a natural subtly sweet taste which won’t spike your insulin levels.
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar or Stevia
- Juice of 1/2 lime (no more than 1 tablespoon)
- Ice cubes or crushed ice (optional)
Making your cocktail
- All you need to do is cut up the watermelon into cubes and blitz in a blender with the sugar, lime juice and water. Then, through a strainer, force the pulp out.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Throw in a dash of vodka if you’re wanting an alcoholic beverage J