Once you’ve found a moreish (and healthy!) snack, it’s like there need be no other. You can constantly pop the bits and pieces into your mouth, taking great pleasure in every single bite. Far from being the low regarded bridge between main meals, a healthy snack like this will become just as important as breakfast, lunch or dinner.
So what’s my favourite healthy snack, which I just can’t keep my hands off?
Big Tree’s Cashew & Cacao Clusters.
They taste just like roasted and caramelised nuts, but instead of the unhealthy coatings like sugar and salt which make these types of nuts taste so good, these cacao nibs and cashews are cold-pressed and coated only with healthy coconut palm nectar and a little Balinese sea salt. They’re also all organic – so no GMO! Do you need any more explanation? It’s fairly easy to see why I can’t put this gorgeous container down.
Now, after receiving these on the Monday and finishing the massive 227g container by the Wednesday, I was a bit forlorn. I needed more. So what do you do when you want more of something but can’t wait for delivery? You make your own!
Try this incredible cayenne trail mix recipe I made as an alternative (and not a substitute) for the Big Tree product. Making it is super easy as you can imagine and makes great use of all the tasty spices you’ll have dotted around your kitchen.
- 100g raw cashews
- 100g raw almonds
- 100g raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cayenne powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut nectar (I use Big Tree’s Blonde Coconut nectar)
- Preheat the oven to 180c and line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a bowl toss all ingredients together and spread on the dish.
- Roast for 8-10 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Once roasted, let cool completely and then, once you can’t stand waiting any longer – GET STUCK IN.