Waffle-makers are a superb gadget – not only because they make amazing, hearty waffles (savoury & sweet), but they’re also super flexible in what they can make. I’m talking omelettes, brownies, falafel – you name it, whatever you can whip up into a batter can be made into a waffle – FACT.
Related posts: Healthy Low Sugar Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
Take a look at my top 5 recipes that you can make with your waffle iron. Choose any which you know won’t cause you an IBS flare-up & you’re good to go! All recipes make 2 waffles 🙂
5 Savoury Recipes to Make in your Waffle Iron
1. Gluten-Free Spicy Tikka Waffles
Best for: a hangover
These spicy waffles are great for savoury lovers & make ample use of the too-often-neglected spice rack! These smell great & taste even better – just like a crunchy curry!
- 120ml almond milk
- 1 egg
- 90g Chickpea flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder (or add in finely chopped white onions for extra texture)
- 1/2 tsp tikka powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped finely
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- Pinch of salt
- Beat together the milk and egg until frothy.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients, adding to the spices until you’re satisfied with the flavour.
- Mix together the dry and wet ingredients until fully combined.
- Spoon into a heated waffle iron and bake until the waffles are puffed up and crispy! Use a generous amount of oil if you want extra crispy tikka waffles!
- Serve with a dollop of homemade hummus – get the recipe here 😉
2. Crispy Falafel Waffles
Best for: vegans & vegetarians
Forget the fried type and enjoy some healthy falafels, baked in your waffle iron in just minutes!
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained
- 1 handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp plain flour (or any flour)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp baking powder
- In a food processor, blitz the coriander, chilli, garlic, and onion until a smooth paste forms.
- Add in the chickpeas & blend until the mixture is thick but not bitty.
- Add the cumin, flour and baking powder and combine well.
- In a bowl, make 2 large balls of mixture using ½ tbsp olive oil in each hand.
- Pop each ball into the waffle maker and cook until you’ve got a deliciously crispy falafel.
- Serve up with homemade hummus! Yum!
3. Caramelised Onion & Spinach Omelette Waffles
Best for: health lovers on a tight budget
Personally, I think omelettes are overlooked & are too often pigeon-holed into being just another breakfast food. I disagree – this gorgeous caramelised onion & spinach omelette is made with satisfyingly nutrient-dense foods and can be cooked in just minutes in your waffle iron! Enjoy any time of the day!
- 3 eggs
- 30g red onions, chopped
- 1 large handful spinach, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp black pepper
- A pinch of salt
- In a saucepan, add your onions and oil for around 6 minutes, or until the onions are caramelised.
- Whisk up your eggs in a large bowl, and then add together all your other ingredients, along with the caramelised onions.
- Pour into your heated waffle iron and bake until golden and serve up with a healthy side salad!
4. Sweet Potato Parsnip Waffles
Best for: paleo followers
Root veg is too often forgotten about or reduced in stews – with this heavenly sweet potato parsnip recipe you’ve got all your favourite root veg, with all their crunchiness intact!
- 1 sweet potato, cooked & mashed
- 1 parsnip, cooked & mashed
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 egg, separated into yolks and whites
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (to serve)
- Mix everything together in a large bowl (except egg whites) and blend until you’ve got a hearty, thick batter. If it’s not thick enough, add in a tad more flour.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Now gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter with a spatula
- Spoon the mixed batter into your waffle iron and cook until golden.
- Serve up warm with maple syrup or melted nut butter!
5. Sweet Potato Hash Brown Waffles
Best for: brunch
From the frying pan to the waffle iron, these healthy sweet potato hash browns are the perfect antidote you need for lazy Sunday mornings. Try with scrambled eggs and lots of sauce.
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 70g flour, any (I use sesame flour as it gives the hash browns a nice nutty taste)
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp fresh ginger (optional)
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Firstly microwave one of your sweet potatoes for around 10 minutes, or until tender. Do this by sitting in a basin of warm water to heat more quickly.
- Leave to cool down for around 10 more minutes. Once fully cooled, peel & mash up until smooth and lump-free.
- The other three sweet potatoes don’t need to be microwaved, but do need to be peeled & then grated.
- Mix together the grated and mashed potato, then the whisked eggs, flour, salt, onion & ginger.
- Now pour the mix into your waffle iron with a little coconut oil greasing the iron, spooning 2-3 tablespoons per waffle.
- Once crispy, serve up with tasty scrambled eggs!