Alright, so McDonald’s isn’t the greatest place to choose for breakfast if you suffer with IBS – but I know that some people really struggle to stop their cravings for an Egg McMuffin as it seems you can’t find them anywhere else!
So instead, I thought to make my own, with more IBS-friendly ingredients – so I skipped the bacon for lean turkey ham, used whole egg whites rather than the yolk too, and used mozzarella rather than the processed stuff they use as it has much less fat and melts incredibly well on a freshly cooked egg.
Try it for yourself and see if you’re still craving a McDonald’s afterwards!
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 tomato, sliced
- ½ sliced onion
- 1 gluten-free English muffin, halved (I use Genius’ muffins)
- 1 thin slice of turkey ham
- ½ slice of mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Pour the beaten egg whites into a cookie cutter and place into a frying pan.
- Fry the egg whites until it stops jiggling on top.
- In a separate frying pan, fry the tomatoes and onion.
- In the meantime, toast the muffin.
- Once toasted, top with the turkey ham and cheese and return to the grill to melt a little.
- Top with the tomatoes, onion and egg whites and douse with Worcestershire sauce. Finally apply the top muffin layer.
- Serve immediately!