Critically and crucially, IBS sufferers understand that ice-cream is just a complete write off. If it’s not the high quantities of lactose (check!), it’s the hugely dense fat and calorie count (double check! Testament to this is how the USDA considers 2 tablespoons of ice-cream to be the entire fat and sugar limit for the average adult), the abnormal amounts of white sugar crystals which, after a strenuous workout in the digestive tract, leaves acetic acid, water and carbon dioxide (which is why you’re probably left feeling incredibly bloated after a high-sugar meal)… as well as the fact that once you start a tub, you just can’t stop!
But ice-cream is damned delicious.
It’s like the food god’s are offering you a free pass to Heaven every time you take a big ole’ mouthful…. And tummy hell once it’s fully digested (or lack thereof). That’s why all I eat now is my homemade banana ice-cream, made not from cream or any dairy, but just pure banana puree. It’s easy to see why there are so many amazing banana ice-cream recipes online and they fit in perfectly with an IBS, Paleo and low FODMAP way of life. I, however, make mine a little more irresistible by adding in raw organic almond butter made with 100% almonds and a little sea salt (Biona is a good brand for this) and some finely roasted almonds on top.
- 5 large very ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons Biona almond butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped almonds
- Firstly freeze the bananas. You do this by peeling the ripe bananas, cutting them up and popping them in the freezer on a baking sheet. These should only take around 2 hours to freeze totally.
- Once fully frozen, blitz the bananas in a blender and keep doing so until they’re creamy and smooth. A little milk can be added if your blender isn’t tough enough.
- Add the nut butter and keep pureeing. Serve immediately.
- Be aware that this will be nice and creamy and more like Gelato. If you’d prefer a harder, more solid ice-cream you can scoop, pop it in the freezer for a few hours after blending.
- Toast your chopped almonds in a pan until browned. This shouldn’t take longer than a few minutes.
- Sprinkle on top of your yummy banana ice cream and enjoy spoonful after guilt-free spoonful! J