Guilt-free indulgence is at its finest with this raw Chunky Monkey ice-cream. Packed full of healthy fats and not a droplet of dairy in sight, you will never be reaching for store-bought again!
If you don’t know this already, then I’m hoping this simple sentence will change your life forever.
Ice-cream can be made healthily.
That’s right. Just bananas, no cream, no dairy at all in fact, almond butter and nuts. You can take a look at my healthy ice-cream recipe here.
And just like any other ice-cream, you can make loads of different flavoured ice-cream, just as long as it’s healthy additions that you’re throwing into the mix, of course. Now I’m a massive fan of Chunky Monkey – the gooey chocolatey chunks and walnuts work so beautifully together… but what isn’t beautiful about this particular combo is how calorific it is. So I decided to put my own spin on an ice-cream favourite, using more nuts, more bananas, cacao nibs rather than chocolate chunks & also made a divine date syrup which acts like a treacle amongst the creaminess. The date syrup is optional, but I highly recommend swirling it in!
It’s also good to be aware before making this that there’s a lot of prep work/soaking/freezing to be done, so make sure you’re not making it & expecting it finished in minutes! Patience is a virtue and all that…
Try this raw Chunky Monkey ice-cream recipe and finally know the true meaning of guilt-free indulgence!
- 100g cashews
- 100g walnuts
- 4 ripe bananas
- 100g cacao nibs
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
For the syrup:
- 10 dates
- 200ml water
- 1 ½ tsp lemon juice
- Soak the cashews in warm water and leave to soak overnight.
- Cut up the bananas and, in a plastic bag, freeze completely overnight. Ensure the chunks are well separated so they don’t stick together during freezing.
- Mix together the drained cashews with 100ml water and blend on high until a creamy consistency forms.
- Now you can add in the frozen banana chunks along with the oil, syrup, vanilla, and lemon juice and the cashew cream mix and blitz again.
- For the syrup, soak the dates in warm water for 30 minutes.
- Drain the dates and add the 200ml water and lemon juice to a blender. Blitz until smooth and runny.
- Finally, fold in the chopped walnuts, cacao nibs and swirl in the date syrup.
- Freeze for 5 hours.