High in protein and low in sugar, these chickpea peanut butter cookies will keep you full of energy! Perfect for breakfast or as a healthy snack!
Anyone who knows me knows how much I value the humble chickpea. Not only can I digest them with ease over other legumes, but they’re also full of healthy proteins and go great in salads.
I also use them a lot to make my homemade hummus (get my healthy recipe for hummus here) which I prefer over sugary, salty condiments full of all the bad stuff that just make me crave more.
So it’s fair to say my cupboard is always fully stocked with tins and tins of chickpeas. And what goes best with chickpeas? PEANUT BUTTER!
Okay, this isn’t the most commonplace tag-team, but I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised to find that it works. Just see how good they taste together in this healthy chickpea peanut butter cookie recipe I devised which combines natural, smooth PB, ground almonds and bananas. Yum!
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained
- 100g natural peanut butter
- 1 over-ripe banana
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 egg whites
- 40g ground almonds (a tasty and healthier alternative to sugar)
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 50g sturdy rolled oats (I use this instead of chocolate chips)
- Preheat the oven to 200c.
- Grease a baking tray and set aside.
- Pop the chickpeas into a food processor and throw in all of the ingredients until you have a smooth, creamy mixture.
- Spoon the batter onto the baking sheet, ensuring they’re well spaced out.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cookies start to brown ever so slightly. You want these to look a little under-baked when they come out so they remain chewy.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes and, once hardened, eat up!
For a similar healthy oaty cookie recipe, check out this recipe here where each individual cookie comes in at only 50 calories each!
You can also do loads more with chickpeas for your favourite desserts, such as chickpea mint thins, or chickpea toasted almond energy balls. Watch this space – recipes for these will be up soon on the blog J